Re: [webauthn] Cross-origin credential creation (#1656)

From: John Bradley via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 19:02:41 +0000
To: public-webauthn@w3.org
Going back to @agl's issue.

Is this:
a) proposing that a site can create an iframe with the feature-policy publickey-credentials-create to allow the origin of the iframe to make a credential?   If so I support that.  There are situations like 3dSecure where the ACS is not the bank itself and needs to register a separate credential.   There are lots of other places where a SAAS IDP embeds an iframe on a enterprise login page to do authentication.  The problem as I think Duo pointed out is that offering to register a platform authenticator for next time won't currently work without doing a full page redirect that may take the user out of the flow they are expecting.

b) per Dirk's proposal on payments. Allow a site in a full page redirect to create a non-discoverable credential for a third site.  I see a lot of uses for that and would like to explore if there are any security/privacy issues with doing that.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by ve7jtb
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/issues/1656#issuecomment-888547663 using your GitHub account