Re: [webauthn] Can RPs assume that `InvalidStateError` for `create()` means an excludeCredentials match? (#1566)

My point is that you can't have your cake and eat it too, Lucas.

FIDO is a security technology - not a convenience technology.
Consequently, you should begin your deployment with a focus on what
security you want for your environment and then think of the UX.

The way I see it, you have the following choices for security:

* Strictest - ALWAYS requires UV and only accepts specific AAGUIDs;
* Strict  - ALWAYS requires UV from any AAGUID;
* Reasonable - ONLY accepts specific AAGUIDs;
* Minimum - ANY AAGUID that supports UP;
* "You've got to be kidding me" - What we have currently.

What we (at StrongKey) are trying to get the world to adopt is
"Minimum". I still can't believe that 7 years after joining the FIDO
Alliance, and nearly 6 years after putting out our first open-source
FIDO Certified server, we're nowhere near that! Even now, I run into
technical people who've never heard of FIDO (or PKI, the progenitor of
passwordless authentication).

What's galling is that companies like Google, Facebook and Twitter (and
many more - you know who you are) - which support "Minimum" right now -
could educate 2B+ people overnight and raise the security bar if they
chose to; but they won't do it, putting profits ahead of doing what's
right for the entire ecosystem.

My recommendation is to focus on what security you want first, and then
design your UX for what meets that policy. Trying to find the perfect
solution continues to leave the world in a bloody mess (just look at
what SolarWinds + VMware has wrought recently).

Arshad Noor
StrongKey