Re: [webauthn] Standardising support for software authenticators (#1175)

I would argue that you may as well just stick with passwords for
authentication than use software authenticators, Ki-Eun Shin.

Unless you use a hardware-based cryptographic module on the platform,
your security is reduced to the knowledge of a password with a
software-based authenticator. Wherever you store the cryptographic key
on the platform, the only protection you are likely to have is the
PBKDF2-derived key from the password that protects the key-pair
(assuming a password is used - if not, the security is further reduced
to the point where anyone with access to those keys may authenticate
with that key).

This is the reason why the FIDO Alliance enabled transporting CTAP over
protocols such as HID, BLE and NFC for "Security Keys"; it enables the
use of cryptographic hardware to protect the key-pairs on any platform
that supports those transport protocols. A small price to pay for more
than a reasonable level of security.

Arshad Noor
StrongKey