Re: [webauthn] truncation to 64-byte upper limit doesn't mention character boundaries

From: Addison Phillips via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 19:05:33 +0000
To: public-webauthn@w3.org
If you go with normative language, I would prefer this:

> Authenticators MUST perform any UTF-8 encoded string truncation on a code point boundary, and are encouraged perform such a truncation on a extended grapheme cluster (EGC) boundary [[!UAX29]].

... in place of SHOULD/MAY as in the proposal. I used non-normative language about EGC because SHOULD is too strong a recommendation. MAY might be appropriate instead.

Note that a mid-code-point truncated string makes file formats such as JSON invalid (unless a transfer encoding such as base64 is applied to the name--which I think is beside the point??)

--
GitHub Notification of comment by aphillips
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/issues/973#issuecomment-406040767 using your GitHub account