Re: [webauthn] Extensions need to define how their parameters convert to/from CBOR

From: Jeffrey Yasskin via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 04:56:05 +0000
To: public-webauthn@w3.org
There is a systematic problem here, that our types and conversions aren't precisely specified.

I disagree that this makes the specifications "useless". Certainly a hostile implementer could do the wrong thing, and we should fix that, but a benign implementer is going to reach for ["utf-8 encode"](https://encoding.spec.whatwg.org/#utf-8-encode) when converting "A single JSON string prompt." (which should probably be a DOMString) to "a CBOR text string" (i.e. UTF-8).

We're likely to end up with some ordering inconsistencies in the more complex conversions, but HTML4 wasn't "useless" despite having lots of that sort of problem.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by jyasskin
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/issues/626#issuecomment-337117624 using your GitHub account