Re: wrt all those "FIDO" terms, e.g. "FIDO Credentials" - new names?

Aha, a place where my legal background can be of use. I'd suggest we
should select a different term rather than using the trademarked "FIDO"
to refer to these credentials.

Trademark imposes additional (legal) coordination costs, as trademark
functions as a designation of source and requires an exercise of
"quality control." We intend to coordinate with the FIDO Alliance, but
not to the extent that they would see us as custodians of their trademark.

I now return us to bikeshed-paint-color-selection.
--Wendy

On 03/08/2016 11:22 AM, Hodges, Jeff wrote:
> On 3/7/16, 11:19 PM, "WALSH, Scott" <scott.walsh@plantronics.com<mailto:scott.walsh@plantronics.com>> wrote:
> That was my thought too, FIDO is in no way vendor or technology specific.
>
> well, "FIDO" is trademarked by the FIDO Alliance..
>
> https://fidoalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/FIDO_Trademark_License_Agreement_v_3.1.pdf
> https://fidoalliance.org/fido-trademark-and-service-mark-usage-agreement-for-websites/
>
> I (personally) can go either way, as long as, if "FIDO" is retained, we clearly equate the term "FIDO Credential" to some short and sweet technical description such as one of those suggested below.
>
> in any case, we perhaps need chairs and W3C staff to figure out what W3C's position is regarding use of such a trademarked term(s) within recommendation-track specs -- i.e., simple guidance such as: "yes, you can retain the 'FIDO' moniker in the spec and add the trademark notice" or "let's excise the 'FIDO' moniker" or "it's up to the webauthn working group" -- and then go from there. . .

Policy Counsel and Domain Lead, World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
http://wendy.seltzer.org/        +1.617.863.0613 (mobile)