Re: extensions, continued.. (was: 05/24/2016 WebAuthn Summary

On 6/6/16, 9:45 PM, "Dirk Balfanz" <balfanz@google.com> wrote:

>[...] In fact, FIDO historically
> draws the line even more conservatively than the rest of the web does
>(not even considering DRM). Let me give you an example of that: when we
>first introduced app IDs and facets, it was technically possible for two
>origins, let's say
>google.com <http://google.com> and youtube.com <http://youtube.com>, to
>collaborate and access the same key on an authenticator (something that
>could come in quite handy for those two origins, as you can imagine).
>Note that absent app IDs and FIDO, any two origins on the web, if they
>choose to collaborate, can already track a user and agree on a common
>identifier (by iframing each other, run federation protocols, etc). FIDO
>at that point decided that we didn't want to introduce an *additional*
>channel for different origins to track users; so we changed the app id
>spec to no longer make it possible for exampleA.com and exampleB.com to
>have access to the same keys from an authenticator.

I do not think this is actually a correct example because we specified
that particular aspect of the appid-and-facet spec -- i.e., not making
exampleA.com and exampleB.com equivalent -- in order to not violate the
Web's crucial, well-established "cookie same origin policy" [1], which
does have both security and privacy connotations, but we (at least I and
Brad) were focusing on the security aspects. Effectively, the
appid-and-facet approach /adheres/ to the cookie same origin policy.

[1] http://identitymeme.org/http-cookie-processing-algorithm-etlds/

HTH,

=JeffH