RE: Questions about some of the naming in the spec

From: Vijay Bharadwaj <vijaybh@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 17:25:41 +0000
To: Kimberly Paulhamus <kpaulhamus@google.com>, "public-webauthn@w3.org" <public-webauthn@w3.org>
Hi Kimberly,

Thanks for the feedback. Security people tend to make a strong distinction between authentication (authn) and authorization (authz) which is where that terminology came from. So I suspect auth by itself would be confusing to a different audience. Regarding the Web prefix, I will leave that to others to comment on – I don’t have strong feelings about it either way.