Re: [Minutes] 15 September task force of the Web Authentication and Web Payments Working Groups

To clarify the proposed agenda item and provide some opportunity to
prepare, we want to clarify the specific requirements for the challenge
generation in a FIDO authN.
Our understanding is that the purpose of the challenge (or specifically the
nonce in the challenge) is to provide some randomness to the signed data to
prevent replays.

We'd like to understand the constraints here and what is allowed by FIDO or
where there is wiggle room.

Our goal is to come up with a scheme for generating the client data without
a server round-trip by:
a) having the client (specifically the browser) generate the nonce
b) the FIDO server protecting itself from replays by not allowing the same
nonce (likely within some time bounded period)

Any other suggestions to help us achieve this goal are welcome