Re: [Minutes] 7 July task force of the Web Authentication and Web Payments Working Groups

Hi Tomasz,

Apologies for the very late response here --

1. We don't believe a secure random challenge is required for the payments
use case,
  only a unique one. We were thinking that the challenge could be
derived by hashing
  the transaction attributes (amount, merchant, and a unique order ID that
can be
  chosen by the merchant), which would ensure uniqueness and also serve as
a way
  of binding these values into the cryptogram, since no alternative field
is available.

  I believe this is similar to the way EMV cryptograms are generated (the
ARQC?)
  where the card computes a MAC over the transaction attributes, with a
counter to
  ensure uniqueness. The card can generate these cryptograms without
needing to
  first communicate with the issuer and obtain a challenge.

2. In this case we would imagine using the vanilla 3D Secure flow to enroll
  credentials. So after the ACS authenticates the customer, it can request
that the
  browser provision a secure payment instrument to streamline future
payments, so
  long as the browser and device are biometric-capable. The next time the
customer
  pays on the same browser, they would receive the upgraded biometric flow.

3. I was thinking of this in terms of 3D Secure, where the card details
would be used
  to initiate a 3D Secure session (AReq/VEReq), which would now be carried
out
  cooperatively with the browser. So the payment handler would need only the
  standard fields (the ACS URL / the CReq), plus the new SPC instrument list
  (I'm imagining we could extend the ARes with an extra field where the
issuer could
  indicate which SPC instruments it will accept a signature from, and the
merchant
  would pass this information on to the browser along with the ACS URL).

Let me know if anything I've said doesn't work or doesn't make sense!

~Benjamin