Re: Any agenda items for a 1 September WebAuthn/WPWG joint task force?

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 6:36 AM Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Please let me know whether you have any points you’d like to discuss at
> the 1 September joint task force call.
>
> I have heard in two recent conversations interest in returning to the
> topic of silent risk assessment (à la
> 3DS2 frictionless flow) in light of browser evolution around cookies and
> fingerprinting. Could browsers provide
> risk engines with useful information that protects user privacy?
>
> Could we put this on our joint task force agenda? Is there any analogous
> discussion happening in the WebAuthn WG?

 In both WebAuthn L1 <https://www.w3.org/TR/webauthn-1/> & L2
<https://w3c.github.io/webauthn/>, we note in a few places data that a
relying party deployer might extract and feed into their risk
calculations.  E.g., search the latter specs for:

risk tolerance
risk scoring
risk engines

Though, we have not AFAIK had discussions focussing on the topic of
"provid[ing] risk engines with useful information that protects user
privacy".

FWIW, the WebAuthn spec does have a fairly extensive Privacy Considerations
section <https://w3c.github.io/webauthn/#sctn-privacy-considerations>.

=JeffH