RE: WebAssembly and Bytecode question

Hi Rahman,
It terms of what gets distributed and executed, the vision is that WebAssembly binary formatted AST is the equivalent of Java ByteCode. One difference though is that WebAssembly binary format doesn’t define a specific virtual execution environment, similar to stack-based virtual machine defined Java bytecode. Your “???” would be implementation-defined in that case, and depends on what intermediate format the executing engine translates the AST to.

Hope this helps.

From: Rahman USTA [mailto:rahman.usta.88@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, January 25, 2016 10:39 AM
To: Beyler, Jean Christophe <jean.christophe.beyler@intel.com>
Cc: public-webassembly@w3.org
Subject: Re: WebAssembly and Bytecode question

Hi Jean;

I'm a Java developer and I try to relate WebAssembly from my viewpoint :)

For example;

Java Source ------> Java Source AST -------> Java ByteCode
JS Source   -------> WebAssembly    --------> ???

What is the thing in question mark ?

Thanks :)

Dear Rahman,

From what I’ve seen, the binary format is still not defined so what the final format will be is difficult to tell.

However, from what discussions I have seen, it seems that there is interest in looking at a streaming + compression system so it won’t be instruction after instruction in binary format. But nothing is defined or set in stone yet, as far as I know ☺

Thanks,
Jc