Uri content addition mechanism

From: Albert Jan Wonnink <albertjan.wonnink@epona.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2017 12:04:07 +0000
To: "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>
Ls.

I might be misinformed, but as far as I'm aware there is not a mechanism defined by the W3C where a hyperlink in an anchor can be used  to load extra html in an existing page without the use of (i)frames or JavaScript. Such a feature would however add simple, but very powerful usability to a website, whereas implementing this in the browser logic must be trivial.

A link as proposed could for example be specified as <a href='http://linktoextracontent.html#targetId' target='_inline' ... . Using this structure, the browser should load the extra html requested as innerHTML of the element with id='targetId'.
Of course one has to consider cross-domain issues an one should possibly ignore the accidental misuse of some tags in the extra content ('head' and its content, 'html', 'body').

A complementary mechanism could allow late loading of parts of a page, again without the use of JavaScript. A tag or attribute 'inline' could cause a second load of content, after the primary content of the page is loaded.
So this could be specified with something like <inline URL=' http://linktoextracontent.html' />.

I hope I have addressed the appropriate group. If not, feel free to forward this message.

Regards,

Albert Jan Wonnink