Re: App-to-App interaction APIs - one more time, with feeling

I believe you may be conflating two rather distinct code activities. What this API (or one like it) would provide is the ability for an app to form any sort of request, whether it originates via user input or just of its own code/needs, and have the user's preferred handler deal with the request.

You keep talking about copy/paste of a math formula as if it's a gotcha - but at this point, I have no idea how it affects this API. But to better understand, let me address your hypothetical in the way the proposed API would deal with it:

Let's say an app had a text input for math formulas, and the user entered one via typing, copy/paste, speech, whatever, it doesn't matter. The app itself doesn't know how to handle math formulas, so it creates a protocol worker to open a connection to the user's web+math provider. Let's imagine the user has preselected Wolfram Alpha. A connection would be opened between the app and Wolfram, the app then sends a request/payload to Wolfram, and Wolfram does whatever the generally agreed upon action is for handling this type of web+math request. Once Wolfram is finished, it sends back response data over the protocol handler connection, to the app.

I'm *really* trying to understand what you believe this API lacks for handling the flow listed above. To end the status quo of every site on the Web hard coding its activities to a few lucky providers who out spend other to win the dev marketing Olympics, you must have a mechanism in place that allows users to add, select, and manage providers, and connect to the user's providers for handling of associated activities - full stop.

Please consider carefully the above detailed explanation and let me know if there's anything left that's unclear.

- Daniel