Re: [admin] Web Platform WG is the new WebApps

From: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 12:23:19 -0400
To: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@gmail.com>, "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>, public-editing-tf <public-editing-tf@w3.org>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, public-script-coord@w3.org

On October 12, 2015 at 8:23:25 AM, Arthur Barstow (art.barstow@gmail.com) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> On October 10, the consortium formerly started the Web Platform WG
> [Charter] thus terminating WebApps.
>
> My expectation is this change will have little to no impact on any work
> started in WebApps. That said, please note the charter indicates
> WebApps' less developed specs (f.ex. the Editing specs) need some
> "incubation" before they may proceed on the Recommendation track.
> However, that was effectively how WebApps operated so I don't see this
> as a change - a spec still needs implementation commitments before
> advancing to the later Recommendation stages.

For incubation, members are welcomed to bring their specs Web Incubator CG:
http://github.com/wicg

The WICG can help members get specs into shape and connect them with developers and other implementers. It's a fast, IPR friendly way, to get ideas road-tested before formal standardization.

> The WPWG has its own Github repo [Github] and the group will not use
> W3C's wiki. (Only a small number of WebApps' Editors actively use W3C
> wiki documents (primarily IDB v2 features, Pointer Lock v2 features,
> Gamepad v2 features, and D3E) and I will work with those Editors to move
> their relevant wiki information to their spec's repo.)

Please please please (please!), don't use a single repository as a dumpling ground for spec - it makes it impossible for people to follow individual work items, file bugs, etc.. Please use separate repositories for each work item.

I would suggest maybe making your own organization on Github, and then managing your specs through that. Again, see:
http://github.com/wicg