Re: Call for Consensus: Publish First Public Working Draft of FindText API, respond by 14 October

Hi, Tab–

Thanks for the correction. I assumed that Houdini would expose more of
the underpinnings of the ::selection pseudo-element [1] and its ilk.
Maybe that hasn't surfaced (and maybe it won't). It does seem to be more
magic, though, which I'd thought we were trying to demystify.

But if there's no good story in Shadow DOM for things that explicitly
deal with Range, I think that needs a solution.

FWIW, JavaScript source-maps can comfortably deal with a similar
problem, with minified/cached versions of multiple source documents
(though I guess not multiple instantiations of the same source
document). Still, I'd expect there's a non-terrible solution for
serializing and expanding Shadow DOMs and pinpointing specific
instantiations.

(This makes me wonder how Shadow DOM is dealing with accessibility APIs;
I'm assuming there's a good story there, and maybe something we can draw
upon.)

[1] https://drafts.csswg.org/css-pseudo-4/#highlight-selectors

Regards–
–Doug