Re: WebIDL Spec Status

On June 23, 2014 at 4:07:09 PM, Glenn Adams (glenn@skynav.com) wrote:
> What is the plan, i.e., schedule timeline, for moving WebIDL to REC? We
> have now a two year old CR that appears to be stuck and a 2nd Edition that
> I'm not sure has made it to FPWD.
>
> Given the high degree of dependency from other specs and implementations on
> this work, we really need to find a way to wrap up this work or at least
> publish something reasonably stable.

IMO, we should just concede that this document needs to be a Living Standard (tm). Trying to move this through the W3C process is clearly not working. Even if we were able to take the V1 bits to Rec (a lot of which is now obsolete), the V2 stuff is already widely supported and heavily relied on by browser vendors. IMO, it's a waste of everyone's time to try to maintain multiple versions.

--
Marcos Caceres