Re: [editing] Changing Default Intentions

On Jun 17, 2014, at 7:31 PM, Yoshifumi Inoue <yosin@chromium.org> wrote:

> For overriding keyboard shortcut, how about exposing browser's key binding map as API rather than handling keyboard event?
> Example:
> window.keymap['Ctrl+B'] = function() { document.execCommand('back color'); }

I don't think this is a much improvement from the status quo of handling keydown event manually.  If anything, what we need to be solving here is the problem such as Ctrl+B behaving like Cmd+B on Mac and yet another platform may have another convention.

We should design API such that authors don't have to manually hard code each and every platform's convention.

> window.keymap also contains "accesskey". So, editor library can notify or avoid overriding page defined shortcut
> // This can be done by document.querySelectorAll(*[accesskey]) though

I don't follow what you're trying to say here.  Could you clarify what problem you're trying to solve?

- R. Niwa