Re: impact of new gTLDs

From: Lars Knudsen <larsgk@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 16:22:38 +0200
To: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
Cc: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, Akihiro Koike <koike@jprs.co.jp>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
Looking at the publicsuffix.org page, it's going to be pretty tricky
maintaing it for the expected ~800 gTLDs to come.  Also because each of
them may have very different rules for how they give them out, what they
will use them for (e.g. I think there is at least one bank that wants to
give all customers <account number>.<gTLD>).  Potentially there will be
millions and just deciding on a proper database to keep them in for fast
searches and more (on e.g. publicsuffix.org) will be fun.

Interesting times ahead ;)

I think (hope?) ICANN should seriously have (has?) considered these
scenarios before just going for the monies .. possibly requiring a service
+ specific API from each gTLD holder to be registered on e.g.
"regapi.<gTLD>"