Re: impact of new gTLDs

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 12:02 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Akihiro Koike <koike@jprs.co.jp> wrote:
> > We are a registry operator of new generic top-level domain(gTLD).
> > Therefore we are interested in the impact of new gTLDs.
> > I'd like your thoughts on what kind of impact the appearance of new
> > gTLDs has on software implementation.
>
> The continued growth of https://publicsuffix.org/ would be annoying.

That might be... but personally, I quite enjoy reading about the reasons
for being able to get a gTLD... e.g. ".dog"
(from
https://gtldresult.icann.org/application-result/applicationstatus/applicationdetails/1536
)

"The .DOG top-level domain is for people who love dogs, and for businesses
who provide goods and services related to dogs. The .DOG domain will also
offer those interested in dogs or dog-related products and services a more
effective means to search for products, services, and educational content
about dogs.

The relationship between dogs and humans dates back more than 12,000 years
(source: http:⁄⁄www.britannica.com⁄EBchecked⁄topic⁄167647⁄dog). Before dogs
were kept for social and companionship purposes, they were used for
hunting. Today dogs are used for hunting, pulling, herding, security,
police assistance, military, aiding the handicapped and even therapy. And,
of course, dog is “man’s best friend.”

There are an estimated 400 million dogs in the world (source: Coppinger,
Ray, Dogs: a Startling New Understanding of Canine Origin, Behavior and
Evolution. New York: Scribner, 2001, p. 352). According to the American
Veterinarian Medical Association, there are more than 72 million pet dogs
in the United States alone, with over 43 million households owning one or
more dogs (source: http:⁄⁄www.avma.org⁄reference⁄marketstats⁄ownership.asp).

Increasingly, dogs play a more important role in our everyday lives. With
popular shows dedicated to dog-training and dog-maintenance, people’s
interest and fascination with canines has grown to new heights. We are
confident that the .DOG top-level domain will feed this growing interest
and better the lives of our friendly, affectionate canine companions--and
their owners.

There is a special connection between humans and dogs; we are fully aware
of the benefits dogs offer humans--including affection, friendship, safety,
therapy, and even health benefits. We intend to give dog owners and those
seeking or offering dog-related services and products a more valuable,
easily-identifiable way of connecting with each other and their loving
companions."