RE: [editing] Enumerating CommandEvents

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 7:55 PM, Julie Parent <jparent@google.com> wrote:
> I’ve taken a stab at enumerating possible types for CommandEvents.
>
> You can find the list at
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11Gdl1fnVrEmxiT5dDOnBAwjnog2Xc43qOmFuXfekmUo/edit?usp=sharing

> I’ve categorized each command (Formatting, Insertion, etc), and merged
> related commands (aka, Indent/Outdent) to simplify the list a bit.  The list
> is includes more events that *should* be exposed as CommandEvents.  To
> start, we can eliminate selection and clipboard events, as they should be
> covered by ClipboardEvents and selection events (included in spreadsheet
> just for completeness as they have corresponding execCommands).

Agree that we don't need clipboard and selection for CommandEvent, and also that it's useful to keep them tracked.

> Is this useful as a starting point? What other areas should be added?  Which
> commands should be removed?
>
> Julie

Yes, this is really useful! The main thing I want to add is the ability to do custom commands. This would allow sites/frameworks to implement things that aren't supported in a given browser, or functionality specific to a given site. My current thinking on this is

document.execCommand('foo', {value:'bar'})

would fire

CommandEvent
{
 commandName: 'foo';
 commandData: { value: 'bar' };
}

Which has no default action if a browser doesn't support the 'foo' command natively, but could be handled by the framework or site.

Ben