Re: [clipboard events] click-to-copy support could be hasFeature discoverable?

From: Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 13:53:22 +0300
To: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Cc: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, "Hallvord R. M. Steen" <hsteen@mozilla.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 2:01 AM, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
> I think I'd suggest avoiding the mess of execCommand altogether, and add new
> methods, eg. window.copy() and window.cut() (or maybe just one method, with
> a "cut" option).  execCommand is such a nonsensical way to expose an API
> that trying to stay consistent with its commands is probably not much of a
> win.

I'm inclined to agree, FWIW.  If the command is really strictly
editor-related, and makes sense only in conjunction with an editor
based on existing commands, I would add it to execCommand for
consistency (like defaultParagraphSeparator or fontSizePt).  But
anything else should stay far away.  (Actually, if contenteditable
wasn't an unsalvageable trainwreck, I would rather write a new API
that actually follows JS norms, like window.editor.bold() or similar,
but it is, so there's no point in doing anything beyond *maybe* trying
to get it a bit more interoperable.)