Re: [clipboard events] click-to-copy support could be hasFeature discoverable?

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 9:21 PM, Hallvord R. M. Steen
<hsteen@mozilla.com> wrote:
>> button.onclick = function(){
>>     button.dispatchEvent(new ClipboardEvent('copy', {dataType:'text/plain', data:'Hello world'});
>>     // did that succeed or not? We don't have event.clipboardData on a clip event object

> That should never work as per the other thread.

Per the other thread I accept that a copy event should not cause a default action in the UA - for example, if you've selected 'hi world' in the web page, calling
document.body.dispatchEvent(new ClipboardEvent('copy'))
will not place 'hi world' on the clipboard - because scripted events do not have default actions.

However, if a scripted copy event can't take a payload and have it placed on the clipboard, what's the point of making script-generated copy events possible in the first place? If there's no point I'd rather disallow them.

> execCommand should maybe work. And with the various queryCommand*
> APIs you can do detection.

Detection is still tricky. Are you suggesting that

document.queryCommandEnabled('copy')

should return true when called from a trusted click event but false when called inline in a script, to indicate that this command is only available in semi-trusted events?
-Hallvord