Re: Progress on Push API

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 17:31:51 -0700
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Cc: EDUARDO FULLEA CARRERA <efc@tid.es>, Domenic Denicola <domenic@domenicdenicola.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 5:26 PM, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 May 2014 16:55, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
>> function registrationHandler() {
>>   navigator.push.register().then((endpoint) => {
>>    sendBackToAppServer(endpoint);
>>    navigator.push.registrationNeeded.then(registrationHandler);
>>   }
>> }
>> navigator.push.registrationNeeded.then(registrationHandler);
>
> If it's going to happen over and over, why not an event?
>
> function register() {
>   navigator.push.register().then(endpoint => sendToAppServer(endpoint));
> }
> navigator.push.onderegister = e => register;

For two reasons:

* If the page does some initialization asynchronously then it might
miss that the "deregister" event fires. I.e. it is very easy to
accidentally register the onderegister event handler "too late".
* It would require that we for each page that the user visits check if
that page has a registration, and if that registration has been lost
by the server. We only want to do this on pages that care about push
registration and is actually going to make a registration if needed.
Not for every page the user visits.

/ Jonas