Re: Progress on Push API

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 1:32 PM, Peter Beverloo <beverloo@google.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
>> Well yes, the question is why the application cares about garbage on
>> the push server. How would it handle the return value of unregister()
>> other than simply ignoring it?
>
> Since we only allow a single registration, register() would simply return
> the current registration at least until unregister() has succeeded. A
> scenario in which the developer might want to renew the registrations is
> where their database was compromised.

We could also make unregister(); register() work. That actually seems
better and more likely to lead to success. It does make for a slightly
more complicated register() as it has to check an unregister() invoked
flag, but that's not too bad.

> It would still require another synchronous operation, which is unwanted for
> browsers using multiple processes. Chrome uses a synchronous IPC message for
> getting the notification permission (it is not known at renderer startup),
> and I would strongly prefer if we can avoid adding others.

Interesting. Maybe we should put a use counter on
Notification.permission then. Somewhat sad that nobody raised this
earlier.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/