Re: [manifest] HTTP-based solution for loading manifests

On 2013-12-11 19:59, Marcos Caceres wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 11, 2013, Julian Reschke wrote:
>
>     On 2013-12-11 13:13, Mounir Lamouri wrote:
>
>         On Wed, Dec 11, 2013, at 14:48, Marcos Caceres wrote:
>
>             Would any potential implementer consider supporting a HTTP
>             based solution
>             to loading manifests?
>

>         It seems quite premature to discuss a HTTP based solution to
>         advertise a
>         manifest. Even if it happens to be something developers ask for,
>         we will
>         anyway need to provide a <link> solution. It seems that the best
>         course
>         of actions we could take here is to implement the manifest
>         feature using
>         <link> and gather developer feedback to evaluate that alternative.
>

>     If you define a way using <link>, the alternative approach using the
>     Link: header field essentially comes for free.
>

> Mark seems to imply otherwise: for example, Mark says that "[Link:] was
> never specified to be used with the "stylesheet" relation".
>
> https://github.com/w3c/manifest/issues/98#issuecomment-30293586

I see the comment but I have no idea what he's talking about.

The spec is generic; and the IANA registry
(<http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/link-relations.xhtml>)
has a "stylesheet" entry.

Firefox implements this for CSS and XSLT, Opera (classic) did for CSS.

> If that's the case, then neither would manifest? I also thought
> Link: was more or less generic. I should read the spec in detail.

It's totally generic.

Best regards, Julian