Re: [webcomponents] Inheritance in Custom Elements (Was Proposal for Cross Origin Use Case and Declarative Syntax)

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 5:50 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan@secure.meer.net>wrote:

> Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
>
>> As for the social "endorse" button, I've never seen a popular SNS share
>> buttons implemented using HTML button elements; most of them add their own
>> DOM to add icons, etc...
>>

> Right you are. And there's a deeper reason why "like" ("endorse", LOL)
> buttons use iframes: the ability to set 3rd party cookies.

They don't actually need to be able to set cookies, but they do need to be
able to _read_ them. For example some widgets show your username and your
face next to the button so it'd say: "Like this as +Elliott Sprehn", or
"Leave a comment as Elliott".

- E