Re: [webcomponents] Auto-creating shadow DOM for custom elements

> On Dec 7, 2013, at 3:53 PM, Rafael Weinstein <rafaelw@google.com> wrote:
>
> The issue is that being an element and having shadow DOM -- or any display DOM, for that matter -- are orthogonal concerns.
>
> There are lots of c++ HTML elements that have no display DOM. Polymer already has an even larger number.

While that's true in browser implementations, there is very little authors can do with a plain element without any shadow content it since JavaScript can't implement it's own style model (i.e. creating a custom frame object in Gecko / render object in WebKit/Blink) or paint code in JavaScript.

If the only customization author has to do is adding some CSS, then we don't need custom element hook at all.

It's true that mutation observers wouldn't run immediately after innerHTML if authors wanted to add some JS properties but we could fix that issue in some other way; e.g. by delivering mutation records every time we run a parser.

- R. Niwa