Re: Browser search API

On Friday, December 6, 2013 at 7:38 AM, Mitar wrote:

> Hi!
>
> OK. You are maybe right, it would be easier just to get an event when
> user invokes a search (through key combination or menu or whatever)
> and then leave to webpage to deal with that. Probably it is possible
> to reimplement search with combination of ranges and extraction of
> text on the page.
>
> So OK, how can one proceed to get such event standardized. ;-)

Gather everything that has been written so far here, and put it into a short "use cases and requirements” format. Make sure you include lots of examples of sites currently doing this. If possible, include screenshots or show where the pain points are in the document. All the details and really good examples are here:

http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#Is_there_a_process_for_adding_new_features_to_a_specification.3F

Just follow that and you should be all good. I think it’s best to file this with the WHATWG.

If you get stuck or want us to review your proposal before formally submitting it, then just post it here again.