Re: [manifest] orientation member

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013, at 23:32, John Mellor wrote:
> > I definitely agree with that. Though, we should allow both syntaxes
> > (array and string).
> > If we want a more complex system later, we could move to that. For the
> > moment, I think we should keep it simple.
>

> It seems an even simpler option would be to simply omit viewport from the
> manifest for now unless someone can provide a more compelling reason for
> it
> being there.

I think those two options could live side by side. I guess on advantage
of the manifest is that the orientation can be set once and would apply
for the entire app.

> How do the various UAs plan on avoiding a white flash of unpainted page
> when launching web apps? One potential solution to the white flash might
> be
> to delay opening a window for the web app until first paint. In which
> case,
> you wouldn't want to rotate the system UI before launching your window
> anyway...

Interestingly, Chrome Apps is experimenting that: delaying showing new
window until the first paint happens to prevent a white flash. It is
only an experiment because there is the problem of the window not
showing for a long time if the first paint takes a long time to happen.
I think doing that on mobile would be easier because there is usually
one window showing at a time so the user would understand that the app
is being loaded. I'm a bit digressing though.

--
Mounir