Re: Shadow DOM and Fallback contents for images

On Oct 16, 2013, at 9:47 PM, Hajime Morrita <morrita@google.com> wrote:
> D. "H[ello Shado]w World" - selection spans outside to inside.

Suppose we allowed this selection. Then how does one go about pasting this content elsewhere?

Most likely, whatever other content editable area, mail client, or some random app (e.g. MS Word) into which the user is going to paste wouldn’t support shadow DOM and most certainly wouldn’t have the component the original page happened to have.

Or are you suggesting to copy/serialize the composed “DOM" tree?

> What unclear for me is:
>
> - For case of C, should we consider "Shadow" being selected? Naively thinking yes, but the implication isn't that clear.
>
> - Should we have a way to forbid B to ensure the selection atomicity? Probably yes, but I don't think we have one. The spec could clarify this point. My feeling is that this is tangential to Shadow DOM and is more about generic "selection atomicity" concept. It could be covered by a CSS property for example.

Doesn't -moz-user-select/-ms-user-select: element do that already?

On Oct 16, 2013, at 9:25 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> On Oct 16, 2013 8:04 PM, "Ryosuke Niwa" <rniwa@apple.com> wrote:
> > In that case, the entire "Note" will be selected as an atomic unit.  Is there a use case in which you want to select a part of "Note" and a part of "Text here"?
>
> What if the text "Note" was longer? Is there ever a use case for selecting part of a word? If not, why does all browsers allow it?

Then the user can select a part of “Long Note Title”.

- R. Niwa