Re: [webcomponents] HTML Imports

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 9:21 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 5:25 PM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org>
> wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 6:26 AM, Angelina Fabbro <
> angelinafabbro@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >> And, if the script is executed against the global/window object of the
> >> main document, can and should you be able to access the imported
> document?
> >
> > You can and you should. HTML Imports are effectively #include for the
> Web.
>
> So you have <link href=blah.html> in meh.html and blah.html is:

> <script> /* how do I get to #test? */ </script>

document.currentScript.ownerDocument.querySelector("#test") :)

> Having thought a bit more about how declarative custom elements would
> work that might not actually be much of a problem (assuming we go with
> Allen's model), but it seems somewhat worrying that the document the
> <script> elements are inserted in is not actually the one the scripts
> operate on.

I think the greatest impact here will be on developers. They have to start
thinking in terms of multiple documents. We should ask Polymer people: they
wrote a ton of code with Imports now and I bet they have opinions.

> (The way I expect we'll do declarative custom elements is <element
> constructor=X> combined with <script> class X extends HTMLElement {
> ... } </script>.)

I sincerely hope that when we get back to declarative form, we will be able
to write declarative custom element syntax as a custom element itself. :)

:DG<