Re: Regarding: Making the W3C Web SQL Database Specification Active

Le 27/09/2013 23:23, Jonas Sicking a écrit :
> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Michael Fitchett
> <michael.fitchett@spotsync.com> wrote:
>> Dear Members of the W3C Consortium::
>>
>> Regarding:  Making the W3C Web SQL Database Specification Active
>>
>> I would like to request  that you make the W3C Web SQL Database
>> specification active again. The Web SQL Database Specification enables
>> developers to build web-based applications that can store, retrieve,
>> manipulate and query against data on the client machine. This technology is
>> similar to SQLite, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, etc. Web SQL combined with
>> Manifest enable developers to build web-based applications that work while
>> offline.
>>
>> The Web SQL Database specification was on the W3C Recommendation track, but
>> the specification was stopped because Mozilla and Microsoft did not want to
>> implement a specification that lacked proper SQL definition. I know there is
>> a need for both a NoSQL and SQL solution. The two specifications (Web SQL
>> Database and Indexed Database API) that exist to date are acceptable..
>> However, as stated above, the problem is the lack of definition for SQL.
>> Since lack of definition is the issue, I would like to recommend a remedy.
>> I know SQL experts and great documentation writers who I would gladly hire
>> to further define the Web SQL Database specification and fill in the missing
>> SQL definition. Is this something that would be possible to help revive the
>> specification and get the remaining vendors on board?
> The minimum requirements for bringing back WebSQL, or any other
> SQL-based web spec is IMHO:
>
> 1. A specification for the SQL dialect being proposed.
> 2. *Two* independent, production quality, database implementations
> being willing to implement exactly that SQL dialect. Not a subset of
> it, and not a superset of it.
> 3. The two independent implementations need to have roughly the same
> performance characteristics. I.e. it's not ok for an implementation to
> generate correct results, but do it so slowly that it's in practice
> unusable.
I'd like to add another requirement which is having a significant
advantage over IndexedDB. If web devs want SQL, they can have it on top
of IndexedDB in the form of an open source library (I'm willing to be it
already exists). They don't need to wait for a standard to emerge, nor
for browsers to consistently implement it.

If they really want a spec, they can create a W3C community group (or a
Github repo). We don't need browsers to do all the work for us!

David