Re: Regarding: Making the W3C Web SQL Database Specification Active

On Wednesday, September 25, 2013 at 11:39 PM, Michael Fitchett wrote:

> Dear Members of the W3C Consortium::
>
> Regarding: Making the W3C Web SQL Database Specification Active
>
> I would like to request that you make the W3C Web SQL Database specification active again. The Web SQL Database Specification enables developers to build web-based applications that can store, retrieve, manipulate and query against data on the client machine. This technology is similar to SQLite, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, etc. Web SQL combined with Manifest enable developers to build web-based applications that work while offline.
>
> The Web SQL Database specification was on the W3C Recommendation track, but the specification was stopped because Mozilla and Microsoft did not want to implement a specification that lacked proper SQL definition. I know there is a need for both a NoSQL and SQL solution. The two specifications (Web SQL Database and Indexed Database API) that exist to date are acceptable.. However, as stated above, the problem is the lack of definition for SQL. Since lack of definition is the issue, I would like to recommend a remedy. I know SQL experts and great documentation writers who I would gladly hire to further define the Web SQL Database specification and fill in the missing SQL definition. Is this something that would be possible to help revive the specification and get the remaining vendors on board?

I think this ship has sailed, for better or for worst. We have IndexedDB as the database solution for the platform. It would be great to get help making IndexedDB more usable instead of working on Web SQL.

Kind regards,
Marcos

--
Marcos Caceres