Re: when will serializing a document throw?

From: Hallvord Steen <hsteen@mozilla.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 05:34:55 -0700 (PDT)
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Cc: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
>> http://w3c-test.org/web-platform-tests/master/XMLHttpRequest/send-entity-body-document-bogus.htm
>>
>> It passes a completely empty document without even a document element to
>> send(). No implementation throws.

> I think the reason here is that what the spec says is the right thing, and
> there probably isn't a Web compat reason not to do the right thing, but
> browsers haven't considered this to be high priority to fix.

Well, that may be the reason - and I'm not aware of any compat issues anyone has had in the past because of exceptions here. It still seems a bit suspect that all implementors have aligned perfectly on the spec-wise wrong behaviour. It also carries a bit of a risk to push for introducing new exceptions and make code that didn't throw historically change behaviour.

> Maybe we could remove the throwing from the spec, but it seems kind of sad
> to not catch this in the serializer.

Sort of.. but then again, I guess a completely empty string could be considered a valid representation of a completely empty document..? :-)

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software