Re: File API - Progress - Question about Partial Blob data

Hi all,

Le 29/08/2013 01:25, Aymeric Vitte a écrit :
> The Streams API says for now "This event handler should mimic the
> |FileReader.onprogress|
> <http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/#dfn-onprogress> event handler."...
>
> The second proposal is not very explicit for now but there is a "read
> resolver".
>
> This discussion seems to be the same as the "Overlap between
> StreamReader and FileReader" thread.
>
> Now, I don't know what is the plan for the File API V2/Streams API
> (Promises? Schedule?) probably I am missing some details but I don't
> see what's the difficulty to replace the partial Blob as it is today
> by delta data (both for Files and Streams), the API does not have to
> care about non consumed data since the
> reader/parser/whatever_handles_the_data takes care of it (as long as
> delta data passed to the callback are not modified by the read, cf the
> example I gave for the above thread)
I fully agree with Aymeric. Can someone summarizes what's the history
behind XHR that makes it hard to change (or better give an example that
would break)?

I would like to see progress on the Stream API (how can I help?) because
it solves one use case on which I'm working: download and aggregation of
resources via XHR and in parallel use of the aggregation via a media
element. This is similar to the MediaSource approach but for simpler
progressive download cases. This is a bit different from the use cases
I've seen on this list. The data is not consumed by JavaScript calls but
by the browser directly. The JS would just use a series of
StreamBuilder.append calls.

Cyril

--
Cyril Concolato