Re: Overlap between StreamReader and FileReader

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 18:10:43 +0100
To: Domenic Denicola <domenic@domenicdenicola.com>
Cc: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Takeshi Yoshino <tyoshino@google.com>, Feras Moussa <feras.moussa@hotmail.com>, Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com>, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>, "Web Applications Working Group WG (public-webapps@w3.org)" <public-webapps@w3.org>, "i@izs.me" <i@izs.me>
On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 5:03 PM, Domenic Denicola
<domenic@domenicdenicola.com> wrote:
> In this way, the encoding is a stateful aspect of the stream itself. I don't think there's a way to get around this, without ending up with dangling half-character bytes hanging around.

It seems though that if you can change the way bytes are consumed
while reading a stream you will end up with problematic scenarios.
E.g. you consume 2 bytes of a 4-byte utf-8 sequence. Then switch to
reading code points... Instantiating a ByteStream or TextStream in
advance would address that.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/