Re: Polished FileSystem API proposal

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 3:40 PM, Janusz Majnert <jmajnert@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/7/22 piranna@gmail.com <piranna@gmail.com>:
>>> Adding something like inotify would also enable use cases like having
>>> a worker synchronize a filesystem to a server. Other parts of the
>>> application could simply access the filesystem directly and do
>>> whatever modifications it wants. Those notifications will
>>> automatically be noticed and synchronized to the server by the worker.
>>>
>> Hell yes!!! +1000 to add an interface to inotify!!!! :-D
> I'm concerned that you're taking this API too far. What's next -
> mmaping a file to a byte array?
> It was supposed to be simple, sandboxed API for storing data in
> file-like structures - let's maybe get this thing working first?

FWIW in many other storage APIs, there has been an established need to
enable observing modifications of that storage area.

localStorage had this feature from the beginning.
In IndexedDB discussions between Google and Mozilla determined that
both had received requests for this. Not sure if Microsoft has
received similar feedback.

Even storage OS-level storage APIs, i.e. filesystems, generally have
this functionality.

So I think it makes a lot of sense to add it to this filesystem too.

That said. I'm happy to punt on this for now. As long as we are ok
with punting on support for multi-file locking.

/ Jonas