Re: [DOMCore] Web messaging references

On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 20:19:42 +0200, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
wrote:
> There are various specifications that include terminology warnings as
> part of their reference to DOMCore.
>
> Can we reduce the cost of including DOMCore references in basic APIs, by
> adding some kind of supporting text to the DOMCORE specification's
> extensibility section?
>
> Example:
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/postmsg/
> "The term DOM is used to refer to the API set made available to scripts
> in Web applications, and does not necessarily imply the existence of an
> actual Document object or of any other Node objects as defined in the
> DOM Core specifications. [DOMCORE]"

But it does not actually use the term "DOM" in the specification. Not sure
why that text is needed there. XMLHttpRequest does not have it either.

> If it's not appropriate to include in the DOMCORE spec, where
> could/should that repeated terminology be hosted? Should editors use the
> excerpt I've copied from postmsg as boilerplate on other specifications
> for which implementation of DOMCore sections 5 - 11 is irrelevant?

I agree we should clarify that the term "DOM" has a broader scope these
days in the DOM specification and that its expansion is therefore somewhat
historical. I expect this to become part of the introduction.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/