Re: DOM4 not compatible with ACID3 tests

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> The new DOM-Core specification changes some of the behavior for DocType
> nodes to make them act more like all other nodes in the DOM.
> Specifically:
>
> 1. They always have a ownerDocument
> 2. They can move between, both using explicit calls to AdoptNode, and
> implicit adoption during for example insertBefore
> 3. They can be cloned between documents using importNode
>
> We've written a patch to implement these changes in Gecko (which
> resulted in a nice reduction in code). However, ACID3 tests for the old
> behavior which is making it a harder decision to check this patch in. As
> I understand it this isn't a Gecko specific interaction with ACID3, but
> all browsers will see the same loss in ACID3 score if they implement the
> new DOM-Core spec.
>
> Because of this we've been reluctant to land said patch. I would expect
> the engines that currently score 100/100 to be even more reluctant to
> lose a point or two.
>
> The obvious fix here seems to me to change ACID3.

Yup, that seems reasonable. I'll roll this change into the upcoming
general 2011 Update for the acid tests. I understand there are some other
things that need fixing too, e.g. SVG-related things. Anne has started a
wiki page on the topic here:

   http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Acid3

It would be great if any other changes people are aware of that would be
helpful in simplifying the Web platform could be listed on that page too.

Cheers,