Re: RfC: how to organize the DOM specs [Was: CfC: publish new WD of DOM Core]

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 6:12 AM, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Thanks for the comments and discussion! I finally reviewed all of the
>
> Some members of the group consider the D3E spec as the highest priority of
> our DOM-related specs and they have put considerable resources into that
> spec. Doug and Jacob will continue to lead that spec effort, and as I
> understand it, a CR for D3E is imminent. I expect the group to help progress
> that spec.
>
> At the same time, others members have put substantial resources into DOM
> Core (and closely related functionality such as DOM Range). Naturally, they
> want to preserve that investment and I support that work continuing.

I would like to publicly register that I find the sentiment expressed
in the above paragraphs (regarding the work editors have put into the
spec) as deeply troubling.

I am also a spec editor.  I, reasonably, do not want a spec I have
poured substantial time into to be discarded.  However, my desires in
this regard have *absolutely no bearing on whether or not it's a good
idea to do so, and should not be taken as an input to the decision.

The editor is the *lowest* level in the hierarchy of constituencies.
*Everything* else matters more, and that's as it should be.  I
respectfully request that the amount of work an editor has put into a
spec never again be referenced in a discussion about whether to
continue working on a spec or not.  We should make these kinds of
decisions *solely* on technical grounds.

(Art, I meant to say this last time you brought up the amount of work
Doug and Jacob put into D3E, but I procrastinated so much that it
would have been weird to bring it up by the time I was ready to say
something.  Thanks for giving me the opportunity to speak up again.)

~TJ