Re: [XHR2] Blobs, names and FormData

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com> wrote:
>>> Prpoposed:
>>>
>>> FormData output with the x-www-form-urlencoded mime type:
>>> formData.toUrlEncodedBlob(xhr.send)
>>>
>>> If going down the blob path, these two would have the same end-result:
>>> formData.toMultipartBlob(xhr.send)
>>> xhr.send(formData);
>>
>> What kind of API-style is this?
>>
> [Supplemental] FormData
> void toMultipartBlob(in callback)
> void toUrlEncodedBlob(in callback)
>
> The first would create a multipart mime message, in a blob, and run the
> callback with the blob as the first argument,
> the second would create a urlencoded message, in a blob, and also run the
> callback.
> They'd set the appropriate content type on generated blob.

The syntax you've written above wouldn't work in JS. You're only
passing in a reference to the send function, not a reference to the
XHR object on which to call .send on. So

formData.toMultipartBlob(xhr.send)

is equivalent to

formData.toMultipartBlob(XMLHttpRequest.prototype.send)

So in this case you'd have to pass in two argument, the function and
the 'this' object. Or require people to use .bind.

In general I'm not a fan of this syntax.

/ Jonas