Re: [File API] opaque string

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 18:06:30 +0200, Arun Ranganathan <arun@mozilla.com>
wrote:
>> Why can you not use characters legally allowed in IRIs?
>
> Are you referring to the "permissible charset" for ranges of characters
> or the condition disallowing reserved characters?  I've only omitted the
> ones that should be percent-encoded.  Honestly, we just need terse prose
> requiring something globally unique; I wanted to allow the Chrome Team's
> use of URL-tagging, and largely do allow it if they percent encode
> things.
>
> Is this nit backed by a use case?  Does Opera wish to URl-tag the
> opaqueString production as well, and does escaping characters fall short
> of that requirement?

I do not really see why we should be escaping … or other characters
outside the ASCII range. After all these URLs are not going over HTTP so
we do not have the same restrictions.

I am not really sure what URL-tagging is in this context and I think Opera
can implement whatever is decided. I just would like it not to be
something arbitrary.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/