Re: Mouse Lock

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 10:14 PM, Robert O'Callahan
> <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
>> If your implementation had to warp the mouse cursor on Windows to get
>> accurate delta information, the mouse position in the existing mouse
>> events would no longer be very meaningful and a new event type seemed
>> more logical. But assuming Klaas is right, we no longer need to worry
>> about this. It seems we can unconditionally add delta information to
>> existing mouse events. So I withdraw that comment.
>
> I suspect that, while locked, we still don't actually want to expose
> the various x and y properties for the mouse.  I agree with Vincent
> that the *other* mouseevent properties are all useful, though, and
> that the delta properties are really useful in non-mouselock
> situations.
>
> We should just zero all the position information.  Even if we can
> switch all OSes to a delta mode, the position will be arbitrary and
> meaningless.  This seems easier than making a new type of mouse event
> that exposes all of normal mouse events except the position, and
> ensuring that the two stay in sync when we add new info.

If we expose delta information in all mouse events, which seems like
it could be a good idea, then what is the usecase for the success
callback for mouselock?

I was under the impression that that was so that the page could start
treating mousemove events differently, but if all mousemove events
have deltas, then that won't be needed, no?

/ Jonas