Re: Reference to the HTML specification

On 8/5/11 11:52 AM, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 17:18 +0200, Marcos Caceres wrote:
>>> Again, what are the reasons to link to the WHATWG HTML version?
>> If there is something you need that is not in the W3C spec, then it seems like a valid reason (e.g., PeerConnection API or some helpful concept).
> Agreed, but no one has come up with such need so far.

I refer to the HTML WG's work as normative, but in the File API's
Editor's Draft [0], I'd also like to link to the WHATWG document as an
informative reference for the Stream API [1]  and LocalMediaStream [2].
This is a pragmatic, and not a political, cross-referencing.

Stream API reuses blob: URIs; LocalMediaStream defines globally unique
identifiers in a way that I find useful for the opaqueString
production.  I'm tidying up normative and informative links, and in
general, I think the time is ripe for a good discussion of affiliated
specifications.  Another area for coordination that I'd encourage is
between W3C and Khronos, if it isn't happening already.  For instance,
File API makes use of ArrayBuffer [3] *normatively* which is defined at
Khronos [3] and which is implemented in some user agents.  Is there a
formal liaison?  This will benefit WebGL as well.

Some of these affiliated technologies are not under strictly under the
aegis of W3C, and I think that is perfectly fine.

>>> What
>>> does it mean for the work of the HTML Working Group?
>> Egos aside, it should not mean anything… one has green headings, the other has blue ones.
> In the ideal world, it should not, but the fact that we're having this
> exact discussion indicates there is meaning behind. For example, Ian
> pointed out earlier that "The W3C one has a growing list of intentional
> errors.".

I'd like an ideal world as well, but I am optimistic that
implementations will clarify discrepancies.  The ability to refer across
specifications keeps them current with implementations.

-- A*

[0] http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/
[1]
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/video-conferencing-and-peer-to-peer-communication.html#stream-api