Re: [websockets] Making optional extensions mandatory in the API (was RE: Getting WebSockets API to Last Call)

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011, Takeshi Yoshino wrote:

> While conducting such experiments, user-agents are not standard
> compliant. If W3C/WHATWG are confident that violating specs is the right
> way to evolve specs, I'll stop arguing this. Yes, we'll make our
> browsers standard non-compliant to seek the way to improve WebSocket.

I can't speak for the W3C, but yes, extensions to the standards are how we
evolve the technology stack. As extensions are developed and adopted by
browsers, the API spec will be updated accordingly. Updating the spec is a
trivial matter.