Re: [websockets] Making optional extensions mandatory in the API (was RE: Getting WebSockets API to Last Call)

We are talking about it at IETF81 this week.

That said, I think either way browsers should not require deflate-stream. I
am hoping we can make forward progress on deflate-application-data (
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tyoshino-hybi-websocket-perframe-deflate-01).
If we can get that through the process I could live with Chrome being
required to support that. As for the protocol doc, the protocol lists
deflate-stream as an example, not a requirement, so the mere fact that I
don't want to support that particular extension isn't necessarily the
strongest argument for taking it out of the protocol as the protocol doesn't
require that it be supported. The API should not require the support of that
particular extension either, as that extension is particularly bad.

-Ian