RE: [websockets] Making optional extensions mandatory in the API (was RE: Getting WebSockets API to Last Call)

On Monday, July 25, 2011 1:32 PM, Aryeh Gregor wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 1:02 PM, Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com> wrote:
> > For platform features that directly affect web developers' pages that might
> > sometimes be true. However, compression is also optional in HTTP and it
> > doesn't appear to have caused problems or made some sites work and others
> > not based on some dominant implementation.
>
> Do you think it would be feasible in practice for a mainstream web
> browser to not support HTTP compression?  For instance, if Internet
> Explorer removed support for it, would you expect to get a sufficient
> number of bug reports that you'd be forced to re-add support?  If so,
> then HTTP compression is in practice mandatory for web browsers, but
> optional for web servers.  This is exactly the state of affairs
> proposed for WebSockets compression.

First, I don't think that's the same thing at all. Second, the IETF HyBi working
group has asked members of this working group for Last Call feedback. If you
think the protocol has the wrong mix of required/optional features then you
should provide that feedback through the requested channel.

Adrian.