Re: Mutation events replacement

On 7/19/11 7:18 PM, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
> For editing purposes, it's also crucial to know from/to where nodes are
> removed/inserted.  It seems like adding an offset trivially solves this
> problem without much overhead.

I'm not convinced about "without much overhead".  In general, adding an
offset is O(N) in number of childnodes in many existing
implementations....  that can be improved, but only at the cost of more
memory or performance elsewhere.

> Again, it'll be very useful to have old and new values for editing
> purposes.  Although I have a reservation as to whether we should do for
> style or not because calling mutation listeners every time script
> modifies some style property will be quite expensive as it requires
> serializing CSSStyleDeclaration.

Yes, that is _exactly_ the problem.

I have a related question.  If the same node is inserted and removed
over and over again (say 100 times) in the same task, what
notification(s) will be delivered at the end of the task?

-Boris