[websockets] IETF HyBi current status and next steps

The HyBi WG is publishing Version 10 of the WebSockets protocol on 7/11 and then requesting IETF Last Call. If there are remaining issues related to the protocol, these should be immediately raised with the HyBi WG.

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/current/msg07713.html

From: Salvatore Loreto <salvatore.loreto at ericsson.com>
To: "hybi at ietf.org" <hybi at ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 11:33:41 +0300

(as chairs)

status:
------
Gabriel and I started the WG last call process for version -07 on April 25th, 2011 (until May 9th),
since then two new version -08 and -09 have been produced
to address all the comments/discussion received during the WG LC time and after
the IESG process requires that once the WG LC is over and the document is ready
it has to be submitted to IESG for publication...
so we have asked the IESG to publish it,
I will be the Document Shepherd for it.

(if you are not familiar with the IETF process see: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4858#section-3 )

Now we are on the AD evaluation phase:
Peter Saint-Andre is the Application AD responsible for HyBi wg;
(you can check all the information from the tracker:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol/ )

In order to address the last, mostly editorials comments/fix we have asked the editors to produce
a new version -10 for July 11th

as soon the version -10 is produced we will ask
to start the two weeks broader IESG/IETF last call that involve all the IETF community (not only the HyBi wg):
the discussion will happen on the IETF discussion list (ietf at ietf.org):
http://www.ietf.org/list/discussion.html

The idea is to take advantage of the IETF81 meeting in Quebec to discuss all the comments received
on version -10

what next:
---------
now that the WebSocket Protocol is stable, it is time to discuss the extension that we have put on hold for a while
and decide on what we want to work.
among the others I have in my notes:
    - Multiplexing
    - per Frame deflate extension (draft-tyoshino-hybi-websocket-perframe-deflate)
    - Timeout (draft-thomson-hybi-http-timeout)
    - DNS SRV for WebSocket (draft-ibc-websocket-dns-srv)

forgive me and let me know if I forgot something... or there is other stuff you think is important to discuss

cheers
/Sal
--
Salvatore Loreto